Friday, November 09, 2012

Calm

I am no stranger to anxiety attacks and I always like to have a few calm-down techniques in my back pocket for when I get super frazzled. A few that work wonders for me on the worst of days are:

1. Meditation podcasts. Meditation Oasis is my favourite. Mary Maddux's wonderfully soothing voice  is perfect for washing away the relentless brain chatter that those of us with anxiety often experience.
2. Magic Bag Throw this thing in the micro for like 2 minutes and then place on your neck and shoulders for a while. Much like my dog's  Thunder Shirt the Magic Bag applies gentle warm pressure on your shoulders which is super calming.
3. Lately I've been pretty obsessed with the show Mighty B. Written and voiced by Amy Poehler, it's a riotous and ridiculous cartoon about a super nerdy and obsessive little girl. It never fails to make my six year old and I chuckle together on the couch.
4. Deep breathing and yoga stretching. Even a simple forward bend and heart opener stretch will reset my emotions.
5. Focus, focus, focus. A great piece of advice I received once was to wiggle my toes to bring myself back to reality and refocus my attention. I have a bad habit of drifting off and going into my head and not being in the moment.
6. Dance! Living room dance, car dance, chair dance, whatever! Here are some tunes that get me singing and dancing:
 I Know What I Am by Band of Skulls
Lovely Day by Bill Withers
Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Care Bears on Fire
Around the Way Girl by LL Cool J
Jump by Van Halen
Talk to Me Dance with Me Hot Hot Heat
From Above by Ben Folds and Nick Hornby
You Wouldn't Understand by Nas
Me, Myself and I by De La Soul
L.A. Lights by Grum
Livin' it Up by Ja Rule
Sugalumps by Flight of the Conchords
Girl Talk by Justin Faust
Heads Will Roll by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Ain't Nobody Got Time for That by Sweet Brown
She's a Buddhist, I'm a Cubist by Lushlife
Hey Ladies by Beastie Boys
Funky Donkey by Beastie Boys

ok, ok, seriously, I could be here all day listing music I love. You get the picture.

7.When all else fails, a nice glass of bourbon or a bottle of Granville Island Winter Ale works as well.

Hey, list your tips for relaxation!

No comments: